Mawwiage
What
is the meaning of marriage? Why does it exist? I am not married so I can’t tell
you from experience, but I have studied the topic more than most college kids.
In the following post I will, in a sense, barf my poor understanding of the
mystery of marriage on this electronic repository of knowledge. I have learned
from several books, older couples, and sermons. Really I just want to piece
together marriage in my own mind. Feel free to tag along with me.
I
won’t discuss sex. Look here for that topic.
I
won’t discuss singleness or dating. Look here for that topic.
Recently,
I have read (or am reading) three different books. I will list them in order
from best to not the best:
Meaning
of Marriage by Timothy Keller
Sacred
Marriage by Gary Thomas
Real
Marriage by Mark Driscoll
These
three books will teach you better than I ever could. Go read them. Seriously. I
think every person should read Meaning of Marriage, regardless of their
beliefs, relationship status, or age. Single? You should read it. Dating? Read it.
Marriage? Definitely read it. Just stop reading now and go buy one of these
books (real marriage was more for married only people).
Before
I begin, I should say this: If you want
to be free to serve Jesus, by all means, stay single, for you will have nothing
hindering you from devoting your time, energy and strength to Him. But if you
want to become more like Jesus, I can see not better way than to enter into a
self-giving relationship for Him with another.
The Meaning of Marriage
Marriage
permeates every society. It is truly a strange thing. Likewise, it is truly a
misunderstood covenant. Really, I have no way to express all the wisdom I have
been exposed to on the topic. My failed attempt is the following:
-Marriage
is gospel re-enactment. It is the greatest relationship here on earth and it
imitates the greatest love we know.
-Marriage
is more about holiness than happiness.
-Marriage
roots out our selfishness.
-Marriage is protection from the
sin of sexual immorality. Marriage does not make you immune to the sin of
sexual immorality. Too often people’s single person problems become marriage
problems.
-Marriage
exists to show us more of God. There is no better way to see how Christ loves
the church than to be in a relationship that imitates it.
-Marriage
is two broken humans coming together to sanctify each other.
-Marriage
is two friends who take part in the gift of romantic love.
-Marriage
is such that at the end of the age, one person can present their spouse to
Jesus and say “Here they are. I loved them as best as I could and sanctified them
as much as I could.”
-Marriage
allows us to take part in God’s gift of sex.
-Marriage
allows us to take part in creation and take part in the parent-child
relationship.
-Marriage
is a process of forgiving, serving, sacrificing, healing, pain, perseverance, and
work.
“The main reason
I married Beth was to become more like Jesus.”
~Michael Defazio
Self-sacrifice
Marriage
isn’t about YOU. It is about the one you are serving. Marriage will certainly
reveal just how selfish you are and it will test whether you really can love unconditionally.
Can you love your spouse more than you love yourself? Will you give your life
for them? I am convinced that you could marry any person successfully if you
will just lay down your life for another. God is the one that makes you whole;
not another imperfect human being. You use the love of God to love your spouse.
Marriages fail because of selfishness. Marriages fail because they don’t love
God, and lack the resources to love anyone else.
Friendship
Perhaps
the most important factor in marriage—besides our relationship with Jesus—is friendship.
You marry your best friend (hopefully). You marry the one that knows you the
best. “The goal isn’t to marry the most beautiful person in the world; it is to
marry to person that will make your world the most beautiful.” The goal isn’t
to marry someone that will make you the happiest; it is to make you the
holiest. The goal isn’t to marry the person that you love the most; it is to
make you love the most.
In
marriage, we are commanded to submit to one another out of reverence for
Christ.
“Wives,
submit to your husband.” This little sentence has been abused such that it leaves
a bad taste in the mouth of many women. This shouldn’t be a hard command
because women should want to follow the man, especially when the man is
fulfilling his own responsibilities. The husband is the head of the wife just
like Christ is the head of the church, his body. Just as we, the church, submit
to Christ, so should wives submit to their husbands. This does not mean wives must submit to all men.
When
we think about it, it would make more sense for the man to be the head because
the man is more outward focused in the family, thus he should be the
ambassador. Let me explain that a little bit. Say that a mom and dad are
watching their son play a little league soccer game. As they are watching, they
see their boy get tripped by an opposing player. The father would respond by
yelling for the son to get up and get back at into the game, work harder, show
him up, etc. The mother, on the other hand, would immediately jump to the
defense of her little boy by yelling for the ref to eject the opposing player. The father is more diplomatic and outward
facing in the family, while the mother is more inward focused and defensive of
the family. Now this analogy falls short in several places and it is by no
means perfect, but it shows that the man is the inter-family leader while the
woman is the intra-family leader. The head
guides relationships with other families, people, and business while the mother
keeps the family united and functioning.
“Husbands,
love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave herself up for her…”
When you compare this command with the female’s goal to submit, it sounds a
little harder. I mean, to love the wife as Jesus loves the church? That is
huge. Me are to give their life, their self, and our well being for the sake of
our wife.
Men
should strive to “to make her holy, cleansing her by washing her with the water
through the Word, and to present her to Jesus as a radiant bride, without stain
or wrinkle or any other blemish, holy and blameless.
Men: It is your role to make your
wife more like Jesus. It is your responsibility to present her to the King holy
and blameless. Are you able to lead your wife spiritually? Do you have the
wisdom to cleanse her with the Word (The Bible)? The point of a relationship is not your happiness but her holiness!
Two become One
In
marriage, two beings become one. Husbands ought to love their wives as their own
bodies, because they are one with their wife. Wives ought to serve their
husbands as they do themselves, for they are one body. After all, no one really
hates their own body, but instead they feed and care for their body just as Christ
does the church. The goal of marriage is
for two children of God to become more effective together than they would be
apart. If this is not the case, then
the marriage will not succeed. For this reason a man will leave his father and
mother and be united to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. Once
married, the couple is no longer under the provision or emotional connection to
the parents. They become each others most important person, right behind
Jesus.
Marriage
is a divine mystery! It is such a beautiful thing. We must get this right. We
cannot live for Christ if we find ourselves abusing and misunderstanding the
purpose of marriage. How could I claim to live in the reconciliation of Jesus
if divorce and fail at reconciliation with a wife? The two become one; to
separate something that is whole will never reap good results. Separating a
marriage always leaves both parties with less than what they had. The whole is
greater than the sum of its parts.
I
really am so naive when it comes to marriage, but I know that God designed it
and he knows it best. If you want a marriage to succeed, use it to glorify God.
People
who are ready for marriage are those who need it the least. Those who draw
their strength and love from God bring that strength and love into every other
relationship.
Now
go buy Meaning of Marriage and read it. I am surprised you made it this far.
Jeremy,
ReplyDeleteI have no idea how your blog came up in my newsfeed on Facebook, but I'm so glad it did! This post was beautiful! Brian and I have been best friends for what seems like forever now, and as we work towards marriage, these are all of the things we have been talking about. It is SO wonderful to have the reassurance that other Christians I admire, such as yourself, have the same view on such an important topic! We've talked through so many of the things that you highlighted, how it's my role to submit to him once we are married, but it's not my role to submit to other men; self-sacrifice and what that looks like in practice; the way that a relationship - particularly a marriage, but even working towards a marriage - shows us and brings out qualities of Jesus like nothing else can. I had never seen the "female" aspects of Jesus, how He wants to be pursued and cherished, until I started letting Him show Himself through Brian and I (I'm sure you've read Wild at Heart, but if you haven't, it absolutely spoke volumes to my heart about how men and women complete the full picture of Jesus...and it wasn't even written for women!). I haven't yet finished reading your post on sex, but the first paraphrased quote caught my eye. We literally just finished "The Book of Romance" where the crocodile analogy comes from! It was wonderful, even if it wasn't entirely inclusive when it comes to sex today. We have collected a few other books as well, a little less Bible-study oriented, but we've decided to keep them on our prospective bookshelves for a while longer. :) Thank you so much for your unwavering example for Christ at UK, as well as your thoughtful writing! I will be praying that God continues to bless your ministry in huge ways!
In Christ,
Callie
haha that's awesome Callie! I pray that you and your relationship with Brian floods this world (and each other) with God's love! Thanks for commenting and letting me know! Your right, it is super encouraging to hear other Christians speak your heart; you've done the same for me with this comment. I am glad my feeble attempt to express wisdom has encouraged you! Such a pleasure to know you and see God work in your life.
ReplyDelete