As a married man, I wanted to take a look back at a blog post
that I wrote while dating my wife, Rachel. I have seen many amazing couples
come together in many, many different ways, and I've learned there is no one-size-fits-all approach
to dating in a wise way. However, guidelines are meant to guide, so I wish to
look back on my days of dating to offer some wisdom to my friends who are still
riding the emotional waves of singleness and courtship. The following is written linearly like a book but with the understanding that we all succumb to the art of ‘skimming’.
I would prefer you to read every word, but skim, bookmark, jump around, and
re-read as you wish. Without further ado:
The Dating Field Guide
Of all
the blog posts I have ever written, the most popular posts by far have been
about love, sex, and romance. The topic of relationships seems to be on
everyone’s mind all the time. How to scout, initiate, and manage a relationship
is profound and so heavily discussed; it is crucial that we get this right. The
world offers countless pieces of advice with the integrity of a bendy straw. We
are a broken world and our ideas of dating and relationships are sadly skewed.
Why
Listen to Me?
But why
should you listen to me? How could I possibly think I have the correct answers
in this ocean of advice? I can’t say that I have all the answers, but I can say
that the way God has led Rachel and I into a relationship is one of the most
rewarding, joy-filled experiences I’ve ever had. When you discover something
fantastic, like Groupon, Chick-Fil-A, or an old Ben Rector CD, you find
yourself under the compulsion to share with everyone who might get the
slightest joy out it. It’s the same way here. It’s like I have a remedy to our
relationship cancer; I simply must share it with whoever I can! I am not trying
to brag, but I simply want to establish credibility: The way Rachel and I
began, established, and carried our relationship has been credit worthy. This
isn't an O, that’s what love
birds always say sort of
relationship. We have operated our relationship in a way that is godly,
self-sacrificial, and wise in regards to the Bible, the Holy Spirit, and our
community, and now that I am through that whole song and dance, I can tell you
it was well worth it. I do not write this out of pride, but out of a love for
anyone who will listen. The following wisdom is not my own; I do not claim it.
It is only by God’s grace and mercy that Rachel and I have done what we have.
Furthermore, I am not claiming to know anything profound about marriage except what
I've been told. I am still a nuptial newbie. But sometimes it takes someone who
has finished the race to give the right perspective on the race course.
Defining
Dating
Before we
begin, we should define what we even meaning be “dating.” To put it simply:
Dating is
entering into an exclusive relationship with another person for the purpose of
determining if you should be married to one another.
This
isn’t about taking a girl to prom, or hanging out with a friend, or any sort of
relationship that this world can define (friends with benefits, talking,
texting, etc.). The main purpose of dating someone is to
determine if you are to marry them. On the flipside, dating does NOT mean that
you WILL marry them. Relationships that end can be just as effective as
relationships that end in marriage. Trust me.
Dating
without Direction
There are
many who date just to date. Tying yourself to someone physically, emotionally,
and logistically without the intent to marry them creates a crater in someone’s
life when a breakup occurs. Those who have been through a bad breakup can
easily understand what damage is done when two people separate. If you go into
a relationship with someone without the full knowledge of the end goal of
marriage on both sides, the end result is likely to be disastrous. Romantic
comedies and high school dramas have fooled us into thinking that casual dating
is king. But have romantic movies ever been realistic? Have high school dramas
had a life that anyone has wanted to live? Those
who don’t dilly dally with the power of romance protect themselves from the
destruction of drama. Relationships,
friendships, and communities are ruined when people come together in a romantic
relationship for the wrong reasons.
Porn
and Princesses
Before I
can even discuss dating, I must delve into a social force that’s affected us in
the worst way. We all know that pornography is terrible for the human mind.
Study after study after study shows how the human psyche was not meant for
pornography. You don’t need to look very far to see a relationship that has
been ravaged by the pain of porn. Yet, while porn has been so destructive to the
men in America, women have been under the influence of another powerful form of
corrupting media (sorry for sounding like Glenn Beck). Just as porn creates
absolutely unrealistic expectations in guys’ minds, romance media establishes absolutely
unrealistic expectations in the mind of women. Guys struggle with physical
pornography, because men are visually stimulated beings. Women struggle with
emotional pornography, because women are emotionally stimulated beings. We have let women run wild with
emotional fantasies just as we have let men run wild with sexual fantasies.
BOTH have demolished our understanding of what a healthy relationship looks
like, leaving us with entirely unrealistic expectations. It’s no wonder we are
disappointed. It’s no wonder there is a cornucopia of ladies complaining that
all the good guys are gone and that chivalry is dead. It’s no wonder there is a
whole army of men seeking the most sexually stimulating women, regardless of
whether they are gentle, innocent, or kind. We must realize that our culture does not
have our best interest in mind when it tells us how to date.
Four
Initial Observations About Dating:
1.
Many people date before they are personal prepared for a relationship
We have a
terrible habit of assuming that we are even capable of having a healthy
relationship with anyone. The truth is: a successful relationship starts with who you
are, not who you pick. We
treat dating prospects like real estate: find the best mate with the most perks
for the best price. We are fools in search of someone to fulfill us. God knows
that only He can fulfill us, so our very efforts to find our satisfaction in
anyone or anything else are futile. Singleness is
not a sickness. You are
not incomplete without a mate. Your relationship status does not define you. If
you haven’t spent a period of time wrestling with singleness, then perhaps you
should devote some time to God and not chasing dates. Singleness is a blessing.
Singleness prepares you for a relationship, if needed. Singleness is a gift. I’ve seen so many people go
from relationship to relationship wondering why they can’t find the
satisfaction, why they can’t find “the one”. It’s not about finding ‘the one’. It’s about becoming
the one you would want to marry. God’s will for you is who you become, not what
you do or who you marry.
2.
Many people date individuals who they should not marry
I cannot tell you how many times I have seen
people dating someone who they absolutely should not marry. If a relationship
is hard now, what makes you think it will get any easier after marriage? It
won’t. It will get harder. You can say no to someone all the way up to the
wedding day. By breaking up with someone you either
shouldn’t wouldn’t marry, you are doing you both a favor. Some people
will say “I can change them. They’ll change for me if they love me. They’ll
change for me when we get married.” The simple truth is the only person you can change is
you. A relationship with someone you should not marry must end no matter
how comfortable you are.
3.
Many people are unwise in the development of their dating relationships.
This
speaks for itself. It is a great amount of work to be wise in a relationship.
The more we seek wisdom, the less pain we create for our self and others. One
thing to remember: Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. If God is not
the center of your relationship, it will not develop in a wise manner.
4.
Many people have no idea how to properly evaluate a dating relationship.
Once in a
relationship, many people have no idea how to understand if the relationship is
going well or if it’s deflating. We need to be able to determine if a
relationship is leading towards marriage or the dumpster. The quicker we can
understand whether a relationship is worthy or not, the more pain and anguish
we can save ourselves from.
That
said, I would like to dig into four different pieces of wisdom in dating:
A. How to prepare yourself for
a dating relationship
B. How to select a partner for
a dating relationship
C. How to
wisely navigate a
relationship
D. How to
properly evaluate a dating
relationship
A.
How to Prepare
You for a Dating Relationship
Many
people assume that they are ready for a dating relationship simply because they
want to be in a dating relationship. Many people are wrong. Loneliness is not a
qualification for your dating resume. It is wise to make sure you are ready for
a relationship before you go looking for one. In order to determine if you,
yourself, are ready for a relationship, ask yourself some questions. The
following questions will challenge you. If you can correctly answer these
questions with honesty, then perhaps you are ready for a God-honoring and joy
filled relationship:
-Am I
consistently growing in Christlikeness?
-Is my relationship with God the priority in my life?
-Does my life reflect the Godly character and the fruit of the Spirit?
-Am I consistently helping others to grow in Christlikeness?
-Who am I serving?
-What has been the result of my investment into
their lives?
-Have I developed a lifestyle of servant heartedness?
-Am I sexually pure?
-Have I honored God with my sexuality for a sustained season?
-Have I allowed God to purify my motives for being in
a relationship?
-Am I wise?
-Have I learned to see people and reality from God’s perspective?
-Have I learned to be a good steward of my time and money?
-Have I consistently made good decisions and have followed through with them?
-Have I learned to submissively respond to the authority in my
life?
-Am I
immersed in authentic, transparent, dependent community?
-It takes a community to know an individual. ~ CS Lewis
-Your dating relationship should not be the primary relationship in
your life.
-You should have the blessing
of the wise and godly people in your life, helping you to have proper
perspective on the above questions.
Who
Says I Even Deserve a Relationship?
Since
when am I entitled to a relationship? Even if I become the godliest man to walk
this earth, it is all because of grace. We get into trouble when believe the
lie that we are entitled to anything. True joy comes when we realize we don’t
deserve anything, yet God chooses to bless us with many things. And who said
that a relationship would solve anything? A relationship
will come when it is glorifying to Him if I am living my life to glorify
Him. Why would we want a
relationship if it would make us less effective at glorifying God?
B.
How to Select a
Partner for a Dating Relationship
Now that
we have discussed and determined whether you are ready for a relationship,
let’s go into how to determine whether the person you are interested in is
ready for a dating relationship. The
best way to determine if your dating prospect is ready for a godly relationship
is to ask the same questions about them as you did for yourself. Determine if they are becoming more
like Christ. Figure out who they are serving and leading. Make sure they have
been sexually pure for a season. Entering a relationship with someone who is
struggling with sexual temptation is not a good idea. It’s okay to date someone
who has fallen sexually in the past, so long as the trend doesn’t continue.
Extend grace where God has extended grace. Lastly, make sure they are in
community. Ask others about them. Ask those wiser than you if dating them would
be a good idea. In essence, if would you want your children to grow up to be
just like them?
I did an
exercise before dating Rachel where I had to list 50 characteristics my ideal
mate should or shouldn’t have. You can find
my list here. One day I
realized that Rachel fit pretty much every single criterion on that list.
Needless to say, the choice was easy. Do they have to be perfect? No, because
they won’t be. I know Rachel’s weaknesses well, and I will learn about them
more and more as life goes on. Again, you aren’t evaluating property or whether
or not to buy the new iPhone.
C.
How to Wisely
Navigate a Dating Relationship
So you
and your prospective date have decided that a relationship would be good for
you both. Congratulations! That’s always exciting. Let me share some wisdom
with you.
Initial
Stages
The first
few months of a relationship are always crucial. Whether you see “talking” or
announcing your new found exclusivity to the Facebook world as the beginning of
your relationship, how you operate with your new dating partner is crucial the
how the relationship grows. In preparation for our relationship, Rachel and I
got together and talked about things we could be praying for as we walked down
the road of determining whether we really want to date. We also discussed our
expectations for what a dating relationship looks like. Communication is so
important in a relationship so Rachel and I literally sat down together and
wrote a document of what to pray for/what to expect (NERD ALERT). We called it
our PPP document (Preparation, Patience, and Purification). We knew that prayer
was crucial to this decision. We also knew that we needed to be on the same
page. We know we are weirdos; it’s okay. If your dating partner doesn’t want to
feel like an attorney, that’s okay too! I’m just going to copy and paste
exactly what we wrote together. I’m not saying you should do exactly as we did.
We’re both planners and Type A personalities, so this worked for us. I’m not
even saying you need to have the same expectations for a relationship or pray
about the same things, but you absolutely should communicate with each other.
The following is our Preparation, Patience, and Purification Document. Enjoy.
What
to pray for until January:
· Sole devotion remains in Christ. We
can’t become each other’s idols. Should avoid prayers where it becomes “thank
you for him/her” instead of “thank you God for you”.
· Purity
· Emotional preparedness/resilience
· Patience. Wisdom. Humility. Trust.
Fruit of the Spirit
· Open communication in good times and
bad
· That we would be more effective
together than apart. More like Jesus. Glorifies the Father (makes Him smile)
· To be a prominent example of Christ’s
love and sacrifice
· To be set apart. To be an example. To
lead others as we lead each other.
· To not let the pressure and social
expectations of a relationship hinder us
· To have fun. No drama.
· To encourage, build and challenge one
another
· To pray for all of the above things
for ourselves and each other.
Guidelines,
boundaries and expectations:
· No kissing/ “I love you” till
engagement
o Helps
with other boundaries
o Even
more meaning
o I
want your body to be the last thing I get to know/love
o I
won’t kiss your lips until I am ready to hold your heart
· Be wise. No touching for the sake of
excitement. Be willing to pump the brakes.
· Don’t be out past midnight alone
(unless extenuating circumstances).
· Realize that Satan will try to use
this against us. Pray continually. Use the sword of the Word. Armor of God.
· Realize that we are both very
inexperienced (remain humble/understanding/gentle/teachable)
· Communicate, especially in times of
conflict
· Partnership/Team/Christ is leader/
“Follow me as I follow Him”
· Sacrifice/ consider each other better
than ourselves
· Protect when needed
· Save paying for meals for
dates/special occasions
· Meaningful gifts, not pricey
· Healthy balance of time together/apart
· Don’t be legalistic but always analyze
intentions (It should be simple and effortless)
· Serve our friends. Love our friends.
Bake for our friends. Make time for friends.
· We trust each other around other
friends
· Love each other’s families. Open to
parents/elders influence. Listen to our friends advice.
I can’t
tell you how monumental and profound doing the PPP document was. God truly
answered our prayers and prepared us for an absolutely amazing adventure with
each other. One thing to notice is that we waited to kiss or say “I love you”
until we got engaged. It was hard, but it was so worth it. I would recommend it
to anyone willing. You’ll also notice that we also made sure not to be alone
after midnight. As my grandpa always said: “Nuthin’ good happens after
midnight.” We discussed our expectations from dates to gift giving. By knowing
what each other thought a healthy relationship looked like, we were ready to
begin a healthy relationship of our own.
As the
Relationship Proceeds
There are
five key areas to monitor during your relationship: Time, Emotions, Touch,
Groups, and Mentors
Time:
The most valuable commodity
The
amount of time that you spend with your significant other should correspond to
the significance and seriousness of your relationship. Spending the bulk of
your time with your dating companion early on is likely not a wise decision.
Many couples start dating and then whisk away into the sunset only to leave a
void in their friendships, jobs, and grades. As your relationship with another
proceeds, so too should the amount of time you spend with them. If you and your
sugar bear only last a month, it will save you the heartache when your friends
don’t ask where you’ve been for the past month. When Rachel and I started
dating, we had one on one time only about once or twice a week, and we spent
the rest of our time together in groups or serving.
Starting
out, your boyfriend or girlfriend should never take significance over God
(obviously), your family, or your friends. As you two grow closer together,
your significant other begins to climb the chain. Soon he/she becomes more
important than your friends (once engaged), then your family (once married).
However, your significant other should never become more important than Jesus.
He is always your number one priority. How
you spend your money, your time, and your thought life indicates what you love
most. As you begin to
care for and love your significant other, they receive more of those three
things. However, the amount of money, time, and thoughts you spend on your
significant other should not dwarf the amount of those things you spend on
Jesus. He was your first love; He is your highest love. It’s through Jesus’
love that you even have a good relationship with your significant other.
In terms
of one-on-one time, I would suggest no more than one date per week and 1-2
casual hangouts per week. Keep the rest group centered or service oriented.
Also, be mindful of texting throughout the day or late at night. You don’t want
to communicate through texting so much that being together in person loses
meaning. As your relationship develops, you will be able to find a healthy
pattern.
It is
impossible to overemphasize the blessing of being friends before you are a
boyfriend-girlfriend. Rachel and I
were friends for a year before we started dating, which allowed us to truly get
to know each other without acting or putting on a show. You should keep in mind
that everyone puts their best foot forward for at least 6 months. If you are
friends, you get to see who the person really is. I recommend you be friends with a
person for at least 3-6 months before you consider dating them. Friendship is the basis of marriage.
If you don’t develop a friendship first, then you’ll love what the person has
to offer you rather than the person themselves. You aren’t looking for just a roommate.
Emotions:
The most illusive commodity
Above all
else, guard you heart, for from it flows the wellspring of life.
~Proverbs 4:23
Do not
awaken love until it so desires.
~Song of Songs 2:7
Strive to
keep your emotional connectedness to a person in line with what your community
thinks is wise, and also. what you have clearly expressed to one another. The more you connect to someone
emotionally, the more integrated with them you will be, and thus, the harder it
will be to separate. This
will take a lot of work and a lot of modesty.
Touch:
The most powerful commodity
There are
five love languages; people who are dating seem to always assume theirs is
touch.
Once
touching commences as normal activity in a relationship, attachment becomes
nearly unavoidable. You can’t really go backwards in a relationship touch wise,
you can only go forward. Once you start cuddling, you feel like you have to
always cuddling. Once kissing starts, it continues, and so on and so forth. If your relationship can’t stand
apart from regular physical touch, it probably shouldn’t be standing at all. Physical touch with someone you are
attracted to clouds your ability to think clearly. If you are not ready to hold
their heart, don’t kiss their lips. My personal advice to people is to not kiss
until engaged. Besides, the longer you wait to break out each stage of
touching, the more exciting and new each stage is. Once Rachel and I got used
to hugging, it was about time to start holding hands. Once we got tired of
holding hands, it was about time to start sitting close and putting my arm
around her. Once we got tired of that, we waited to kiss. Kissing blessed our
time between the first ring and the second, and now, we have nothing but unhindered,
guilt-free intimacy with one another. From a practical standpoint, if you time it
just, things will always be fresh and exciting. But that’s not always possible.
A big
mistake is to rush touch. Time is on your side. You can always wait longer, but
once you cross that line, you can never go back. If you are even considering
sex before marriage, that is a problem. There are so many reasons to save
yourself. I write more
on sex here.
Groups:
The most helpful commodity
A wise
thing to do is to spend a large amount of time in natural, social environments.
Rachel and I love hanging out with friends and serving them together. In fact,
Rachel and I met and grew together by serving others together. Being in a
community with your significant other does wonders for your relationship. It is
so important to share your
friends with your significant
other. It is a tragedy when a couple has two separate groups of friends. It’s
not you and your significant other versus the world. You’re just as much a part
of a community as you are a part of a relationship. If you don’t have people
outside of your relationship to help and grow with you, then you are severely
lacking in resources. The
importance of being friends with your boyfriend’s/girlfriend’s friends is
absolutely prodigious.
Ask if
people sense your relationship is natural, edifying, enjoyable, etc. If your
friends don’t approve of your relationship, then maybe it just isn’t right.
However, you should be aware that you are listening to wise and loving friends,
not those whose stir of strife and contention. When Rachel and I started dating
we had so much support from our community. We really sought the blessing of our
friends and elders and we received it. However, we felt the full weight of gossip and criticism as
well. People are going to talk, so be sure you know when to listen and when to
clog your ears.
Mentors:
The most weighty commodity
This
isn’t popular advice, but you really should include your parents and mentors in
your love life. Submit your life to older, wiser, godlier people who are modeling
the type of life, marriage, and family that you hope to have someday. Ask your
mentors if they think the steps you are taking are wise. Ask your mentors if
they see any pitfalls or blind spots in your relationship, your decisions, your
thinking, etc. The people
outside your relationship have a view of it that you don’t. Sometimes they
don’t understand, but sometimes they see areas of improvement that you’ll never
see.
D.
How to Properly
Evaluate a Dating Relationship
There are
four helpful lenses to view your relationship with: Character, Compatibility,
Chemistry, and Calling.
1.
Character—Are they
truly a good person?
The first question that must
be asked is: “Does this person truly love God?”
Are they honest?
Do they follow through on
things they have committed to?
Do you honestly want your
children to end up like this person some day?
Have you seen marked growth in
their lives in targeted areas of deficiency?
2. Compatibility—Are they truly an
aligned person?
Does this person want similar
things out of life as you do?
What are your expectations for a family?
Do your personalities actually
fit one another’s?
Are you passionate about the
same things?
3. Chemistry—Are they truly a natural
person?
Do you
genuinely enjoy being around this person?
Would the idea
of a 10 hour car ride with them excite you?
Do you like who
the other person really is?
Are you
physically attracted to the other person?
4. Calling—Are they truly the right
person?
What does God think about this
relationship?
When you pray, do you sense
peace and affirmation, or uncertainty and hesitation?
By
evaluating your relationship with these questions, you can understand whether you
two are going to be successful or strife-filled. It’s okay if your relationship
doesn’t check out with every single question; you’ll never find a perfect
person. However, you should use these questions to determine areas to grow for
you and your mate. If there are several questions that your relationship or
your mate can’t live up to, then perhaps you need to re-evaluate whether you
should be dating them at all. With
all things, let prayer and scripture guide you. I could give you so much
advice, but true remedies come by just spending time with Jesus.
Conclusion
When
dating, you are basically determining if you should be helpmates with this
person on your journey to the throne room of Heaven; you are determining if
they are the person you want to unite yourself with and give your life for to
present one another before God. The
main reason I married Rachel was to make me look more like Jesus. Relationships ought to be more about
holiness than they are about happiness. But instead, the way most do dating
resembles home buyers looking for the best mortgage. My relationship with Rachel won’t be normal because normal isn’t working
these days.
Have Fun
Lastly,
have fun in your relationships. Don’t overanalyze anything to the
point of exhaustion. God wants His children to be joyous. He provides us wisdom
so that we can navigate the traps and trials of this life. It is for freedom
that He set us free. Let’s not kill ourselves trying to obey every rule. That’s
the beauty of grace.
I
remember Relevant Magazine posting an article entitled “How to go on an actual
date”. The premise was we spend so much time texting and worrying about
rejection and not being intentional that we dance around the issue and never
actually have fun with it. What was funny was about 3 or 4 of my (single)
female friends reposted it. So men, the ball is in your court. Go on some
dates!
Finally,
I will end with fourteen words of wisdom for non-married
people
Via
Dan Hamel
1. Don’t be in a hurry to date. Do not awaken love
until it so desires.
2. If you find someone you like, don’t rush into a relationship. Give
things time—you need to get to know a person
3. Grow in God when you are single. As I’ve seen it, it is
really hard to grow in two relationships at the same time, at least with a lot
of intensity.
4. Don’t date someone unless you are
ready to be married and you could reasonably expect them
to be your spouse.
5. Don’t feel pressure to make dating relationships work. Dating
relationships that end are just as effective as dating relationships that end
in marriage.
6. Avoid sexual gratification through masturbation.
-We need to talk about this
because I’m guessing 95% of guys I know struggle with it and somewhere between
30-40% of girls (though they are less apt to discuss it).
-We almost never hear about
this. I never heard about this in church!
-I never heard about it from a
parent or a trusted authority
10 reasons I want to admonish you to avoid it!
-It is, in essence,
selfish…the root of all sin
-Because it is selfish, it
doesn’t prepare you for marital sex (either practically or mentally)
-It doesn’t represent God’s
plan for orgasm or for sexuality in marriage.
-It produces guilt
-It leads to loneliness (after
orgasm the body releases chemicals that result in intense bonding…in marriage,
that is perfect. In masturbation, that is depressing.)
-It becomes habitual and
addictive
-The bible says not to be
mastered by anything. (1 Cor 6:12)
-It is the opposite of self
control—the fruit of the Spirit
-Romans 14:22 Blessed is the
man who does not condemn himself by what he approves.
-I cannot think of a single
way it will help you look, live or love more like Jesus.
7. Avoid sexual gratification through touching or being
touched by another person
To be honest,
when I was growing up, since no one ever talked about sex in my family or in
church—it wasn’t until I was 16 and we took a survey in my youth group about
what everyone thought was “too far” that I realized things could be way too far
that weren’t sex. All I ever heard was “no sex until marriage.”
Avoid
intentionally exciting yourself or another person in the sort of way that
elicits sexual arousal in you or them.
In this I would
include kissing to the point of arousal, necking, touching sexual parts of the
body or caressing of any part of the body. Each of these actions naturally lead
to sexual arousal, which means they are intended for marriage.
What good are
you accomplishing through fondling another person?
8. Avoid unnecessary sexual stimulation.
-With the movies you watch:
Would you blush if Jesus were in the room?
-With the conversations you
have (some conversations with your friends are counter-productive)
-With the media you consume on
the internet (facebook is huge!—I know so many guys who talk about giving into
sexual sin after looking through facebook pictures of THEIR FRIENDS)
-I have made a covenant with
my eyes not to look lustfully at a woman. (Job 31:1)
-This is honestly a really good test to see if you are a slave or free when it comes to sexual sin. When something like this comes your way, what does it result in you doing?
-This is honestly a really good test to see if you are a slave or free when it comes to sexual sin. When something like this comes your way, what does it result in you doing?
9. When you are tempted sexually, turn
your desire and attention towards
God.
Once you recognize that there
is a desire in your heart or mind, acknowledge it before God outloud, then confess that your
greatest desire is for God-to know him, love him, obey him and seek his
delight. Then say, because I want you more than anything else, I refuse to
follow this desire, I commit to follow you.
Pray for an ever-increasing love for God and for an ever-increasing delight in obeying his commands. “The expulsive power of a new
affection.”
You know one of the most
effective ways to get over a person you had a crush on? Fall in love with
someone new…especially if they are someone better!!
10. Submerge your mind in scripture every day.
-Simply praying and asking God
to remove this sin isn’t going to practically do much (I’m speaking from
talking with dozens and dozens and dozens of guys)
-Romans 12
-Matthew 4
-five out of seven days isn’t
enough.
-Two out of seven days isn’t
enough.
-Every day if you are in the
process of breaking free from sexual addiction.
11. Stay busy with things that matter.
I’m not talking about over
committing yourself, (though college students are, by in large, some of the
lazier people I know).
I am talking about keeping
your mind busy (Philippians 4:8-9) Whatever is true, whatever is noble…etc.
If you go to bed and the first
thing you do is read a chapter of the bible and then the second thing you to is
thank God for 10 blessings he gave you that day and the third thing you do is
pray for your family and friends…you’ll be asleep by the time you would
otherwise have given into sexual sin.
Biblical example from Ephesians
4:28 “He who has been stealing but steal no longer, but must work, doing
something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with
those in need.”
(1)Remove this (2)
Replace it with this (3) Results in this…your reward (Greater than before)
12. Stay connected to Christian community.
-Spend time with people who
care about and are committed to your purity.
-They may be more committed to
your purity than you are…that will be helpful (because it is a picture of God’s
commitment to you)—fasting or sleeping outside because of people’s sin.
Stay connected to a wide range
of people—not just friends your age…but in their thirties and fifties…etc. Get
to know elders at your church, befriend people who are living the type of life
you want to live 10-30 years down the road.
If you really care about
community, you’ll stop sinning. (Do you know what one person’s sin does to a
community?? Look up the story of Achen.
Revival might have broken out
in Lexington if it weren’t for the sexual sin of Christians
This campus might have become
entirely Christian if it weren’t for sin of students
The prayer of a RIGHTEOUS man
is powerful and effective.
13. Strive
to think of people as God does and to see them in light of eternity.
Ask for every
person you see, who you might lust after or think about using, “God, what is
your heart for this person?” You created them, you love them, what good are you
trying to bring about in their life?
Its pretty hard
to exploit someone sexually if you are thinking about either spending eternity
with them in heaven as your brother or sister.
Or if you can
picture them eternally suffering, separate from God.
14. Resolve
to seek first his kingdom and
his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
Maybe it will be a spouse,
maybe it will be the grace and freedom to be single and satisfied, but all
things will be added until you.
0 comments:
Post a Comment