So I proposed to Rachel last weekend… That’s not your typical small talk. It’s an exciting time in an even more exciting life. But if you are hoping this post is the actual story of how I did it, you’ll be disappointed. If you want that, just ask me—or read Rachel’s blog post about it here. Instead, this post is about a revelation I had at the end of that wonderful day. As I laid my head to rest, I began to thank God for just how beautiful the day had been and how wonderful the proposal went. Then, like a whisper, I felt God say “Didn’t it feel great?! I know what it’s like. I proposed to my creation with a cross.”
The Proposal
I spent a titanic amount of time and money on getting the right ring for Rachel. I researched. I lost sleep over it. I compared and matched options. I just wanted it to be perfect. I wanted to give Rachel the best thing I could give. I want it to be the most precious and valuable thing I had to offer. It was no small sacrifice. God did the same thing with us. He wanted to give us His best. He wanted to give us what was most valuable to Himself. He wanted to bring His relationship with His people to a new level. So He proposed. And what did He use as the proposal object? The life and blood of His very own son, the most precious thing He had to offer. As far as we know, it costs God very little to give us nice things. But instead, He gave us His everything, His son. Just as I wasn’t satisfied with being Rachel’s friend, or even girlfriend for that matter, God was not satisfied with the relationship with His people. He wanted more. Likewise, just as the purpose of me getting engaged to Rachel is to one day marry her and spend the rest of my life with her, God’s purpose for sending His Son as a proposal to woo a wasting world was so that He might spend forever with His people. We are the Bride of Christ and Jesus proposed with the purest thing He had: His blood.
Not only did God propose in the most sacrificial and loving way possible, but He proposed to an adulteress girlfriend. At least I can say Rachel has been faithful in dating me. God is setting Himself up to marry a bride that is unworthy and unfaithful. But that’s just how powerful Christ’s blood is. And that’s just how great His grace is. His love covers a multitude of sins. I find that when I am not excited about my relationship with God, it’s because I don’t understand just how much He loves me.
God is head over heels in love with His people, and He has done everything it takes to woo His people with a proposal. Some say yes, others say no, but one thing remains: God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son so that whoever accepts His invitation to live a life with Him, will not perish, but have eternal life.
Engagement
Now that I have proposed, I am getting ready for the impending marriage. There is a guest list to prepare, decorations to pick out, money to save, and so on. In order to make it to the wedding, I need to do things to prepare for it. It is the same way with the Kingdom of God. Jesus has proposed to us, and now we are engaged. If we want to make it to the celebration, we have to get ready. We must grow the fruit of the Spirit for the party. We must do our best to increase the guest list. We must teach others proper wedding etiquette. We must learn how to dance. We must learn how to give, and not take. To make it to the celebration, we must invest our time and resources in the “here and now” for the “there and later”. So how do we respond to God’s love? Check out Romans 12 for the answer to that.
For my wedding, I want everyone to be invited. I really do. I wish everyone could celebrate with me at my wedding. But unfortunately, there is a limited amount of space and money, which causes me to be selective. Pssst! If you ask me, I’ll give you a secret invitation, even if you’re not on the guest list. God, however, doesn’t have that restriction. In the end, there is going to be a huge wedding celebration. All those who want to attend, can! And all those who are too busy with this world and the hollow things it has to offer will miss it. The only requirement to enter His wedding will be to wear the clothes of righteousness the Christ gives us. If we try to enter the wedding (The Kingdom) without the proper attire, we will be cast out. I don’t know about you, but if I were thrown out of a wedding that belonged to Jesus Himself, I would probably weep and gnash my teeth.
God has proposed to you. His gift is invaluable. I hope you’ll RSVP yes. My excitement for my wedding is great. My excitement for His wedding is even greater.
My wedding is coming. His wedding is coming.
This was one of the best and most thought-provoking things I have read in a really long time (and also super precious if I'm completely honest :) )! Congratulations, I'm so happy for you two!
ReplyDelete