Kardashian Quarrel
My
friends were watching a show about the Kardashian family, so I sat and took
a gander for a while. Let’s just say it was tough for me to watch. My
dislike of the show wasn’t because of the style or the materialism or the way the talk or how they portray terrible relationship values or what not, though that does sort of annoy me. I was grieved because
the show compelled me to judge them. It brought up a self-righteousness in me
that was disheartening and joy-dampening. I was grieved because I saw the
Kardashians as an object of cheap entertainment rather than people in need of
the joy and love of Christ. It was as if
they were not important because they were on the television screen or because
they were larger than life or because they were rich and had it made. The Kardashians
are in need of Christ, just like I am. From Jersey Shore to TMZ
to The Bachelor to The Amazing Race, each person is a character to be judged,
ridiculed or liked, rather than an actual person in need of a savior. It
shouldn’t be like this. I feel like some of the most popular shows exist as a train
wreck: people watch because they want to judge; they want to feel better about
themselves. EVERY person is so flawed
that Christ had to die for them and EVERY person is so loved that Christ was
glad to die for them.
I
saw an interview with Tom Brady where he was discussing how, after being the
most successful he could ever dream, and having more money he could have ever
wanted, and having anything his heart desired, he still yearned for something
else, something greater. He was so distressed because all of his attempts at
filling his greatest desires left him empty, as if he was chasing the wind. He
is in search of Jesus Christ, the only one to fill His soul; I just wanted to
scream it out to him. I realized that Tom Brady, as well as the Kardashians,
need prayer just as much as my closest friends. They are not just unimportant
characters on the television screen; these are people like us seeking
for what they can’t seem to find. How hard it is for a rich man to enter into the
gates of Heaven! I mourn for these people. We
need to stop judging people—even those on the television—and start reaching out
in the love of Christ!
These
convictions, as well as others, have sent me into a season of prayer, for
whoever I can whenever I can. The love of Christ compels me to pray for random
people on the way to class. I am targeting people for a mortar bombardment of
blessing from God.
-I
have noticed that I am overflowing with joy when I fill my time with praying
for people on the way to class
-I
have noticed how much resistance there is when I pray for people; it is against
my natural instinct
-I
have noticed that I can feel god’s heart when I pray for those I encounter
without screening who needs prayer
-I
have noticed that I am prepared to serve anyone that would ever come up to me,
rather than those who look like they deserve it.
God
is teaching me humility and joy by teaching me to pray continually for others’
sakes. I encourage you to try this. Just
pray at every excuse. Just walk around saying “Bless you and bless you” if you
must. Listen as you pray for others and you may hear prayers for them that are
so powerful and informative that you could tell them everything about them if they
walked up to you. Let God move in power
in your everyday life.
Faith for the Gospel
I
became a servant of the gospel by the gift of God’s grace given to me through
the working of his power. We have been given the pleasure of making plain to
everyone the mystery of the gospel, which for ages was kept hidden in God, who
created all things. His intent was that now, through the church—not a human
administration, by one body of sons and daughters—the wide wisdom of God should
be made known by Jesus. In him, and through faith in him, we may approach God
with freedom and confidence. But don’t confuse faith with just believing He
exists—even the demons believe that. Faith
is submitting to His authority. Faith is trusting that He will provide. Faith
is trusting in His timing. Faith is giving all that you are as a sacrifice to
glorifying Him. Faith is not thinking; faith is doing. Therefore, I ask you not
to be discouraged by suffering; they are your glory in Him.
For
this reason, I go before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on
earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may
strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that you
Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted
and established in love in everything that you do, would have power together
with the whole body of believers, to grasp just how wide and long and high and
deep is the love of Christ. You could dwell on it your whole life and still
only take one step closer to understanding it at all. I pray that you know this
love that surpasses knowledge so that you will be filled with God himself, for
God is love.
All
glory to the one who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or
imagine. All glory to Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and
ever! Amen!
0 comments:
Post a Comment