An Open Letter to CSF
Dear CSF,
I love you. I love what this community has become and I love
where this community is going. I just want to write you a heartfelt letter.
Being one who is on the way out after serving for four years at CSF, I have a
few insights to encourage and exhort you. This isn’t a letter from someone
older and wiser. There are plenty of other people who can take that role. This
isn’t a letter from someone who is looking to change something. I want God to
do His will. This is simply a humble message and reflection on our community. If
you are older and wiser than me, I pray you would have patience with this; I’m
still learning. I hope the following words can be encouraging and directing as
I hope to “spurn you to good works.” The following are a few encouragements and
exhortations for our beautiful community as a whole.
Encouragement: Cornerstone
God truly is the foundation of why CSF exists. In everything
CSF does, the primary focus is making Jesus famous and inviting God to come alive
in us. When I look at CSF, I see a city on a hill. Even though the outside of
the building is tiny, antediluvian, and a tad grungy, the inside is teeming
with love and life. I give thanks for all of you for Christ is shining through
you. Our community truly works towards being a colony of Heaven here on earth.
So be encouraged my lovely community, for you are the beautiful bride of
Christ. Continue to let Jesus be the foundation of all you do!
Exhortation: Devilish
Division
Satan hates our community. He absolutely hates it. Don’t be
fooled: the enemy is hard at work in every sort of manner and method to divide
what Christ unites. I admonish you not to give way to the enemy’s schemes.
Please realize that beneath the surface of our community, a spiritual battle
rages on. Through means of gossip, slander, dissension, dissatisfaction,
division, deceit, and self-awareness, the enemy is attempting to disarm and
disappoint us. Be aware that when you gossip and discourage, you do the enemy’s
work for him. Ask yourself before you speak: “Will these words hinder and
discourage this person or this community in any way? Or will these words give
life and be uplifting?” Please realize, as one who has seen every sort of crazy
attempt to divide our community in the last four years, I know the enemy will
not rest. Be strong. Seek Peace. Encourage unendingly. Pray always.
Encouragement: Fun
Times
This is a fun community. For real. CSF specializes in having
a good time. From water balloon fights to rooftop raves, from assassins to totting,
from roofball to spikeball, CSF lives and thrives on rejoicing, playing, and
laughing. Thank you all for dancing, pancake-ing, frisbee-ing, and inner tube
water polo-ing with me. I have no doubt that years down the road, I’ll brag
about all the fun we had as a community. Joy is the serious business of heaven,
and at CSF, we take our business seriously.
Exhortation:
Honeymooning
No, I’m not speaking about what I’ll be doing here in 3
months or so. I am speaking of an interesting phenomenon that plagues any sort
of endeavor. When I first arrived at CSF, everything was fresh, new, and
exciting. There was nothing wrong with CSF. Everything was sunny, splendid, and
magical. But as the years went on, my jaded honeymoon sight wore off and I was
able to see CSF for what it was, a community with struggles and ambitions,
strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, the newness of entering CSF jades someone,
allowing the startling realization that this
community isn’t perfect to startle and disappoint us. Friends, there will
come a point when you will feel like CSF has more wrong with it than it does
right. Please don’t let this feeling coerce you into either leaving the
community or speaking poorly of it. Just like you’ll never find a perfect
spouse, you’ll never find a perfect church this side of heaven. Despite our
flaws, CSF has something really special going on here. Don’t let your extended
familiarity with this community prevent you from being grateful and devout.
Several Christians succumb to an unfortunate consumerist mentality with their
community: This community isn’t what I
thought it was, so I’m leaving. This community has done me wrong. Either this
community will change or my involvement will. I exhort you, dear CSF, love
this imperfect community despite its inconsistencies, its flaws, and its
disappointments. As your honeymoon phase with this community wears off, don’t
let your affection, encouragement, and involvement follow suit.
Encouragement: Growth
We are growing! Every year it’s the same exciting news: This is the biggest class of leaders we’ve
had. This is the biggest retreat we’ve done. This is the biggest water balloon
fight, spring break, Synergy, etc. God has been moving in our community and
we are growing. This is an exciting time for CSF. I just want to encourage you
that the growth of CSF is not solely the brilliance of the staff, or the
donations of the old people, or the leadership of Brian Marshall (though all
those things really help and are crucial), but because the Holy Spirit is
working through all of us to bear fruit and spread the gospel. Because we, as a
community, have taken up the commandment to love God and love one another, our
community has been like an orchard of fresh fruit, renewing itself year after
year in even greater numbers. Keep up the good work and remember it’s not the
numbers that matter, but the spiritual life in our community.
Exhortation: Keep the
Change
Because our community is growing, things are changing.
Unfortunately, we tend to dislike change. Change isn’t comfortable. Change
isn’t easy. Change requires sacrifice. As a 4 year veteran of CSF, I’ve found
myself wishing things were like the good ol’ days when everybody knew everybody
and it was easy to feed everyone. The truth is, we all have a little bit of
‘hipster’ in us. When things change, we retaliate. But Jesus doesn’t ask us to
keep things the same. Our life with Christ is a journey, not a camp-out. If we
aren’t moving forward, we’ll find ourselves slipping backward. So please
community (especially you older readers), don’t mind the change. Embrace it.
Don’t mourn over how things were, be thankful for how far they’ve come. We need
to allow Jesus to do what He wants with this community. The Holy Spirit, like
the wind, blows wherever He desires. Resisting change is like chasing the wind.
Encouragement:
Diverse City
CSF is full of characters. Our community is diverse and
thriving. We talk funny, we laugh funny, and we dance funny. I love CSF because
it is a collection of different expressions of God’s character. Every person in
our community is a unique expression of who God is, found nowhere else in
existence. Our community is like none other because every person is like no
other. I am thankful for this community because we celebrate our differences
and rejoice in our likeness. We are a collection of goofy sinners seeking grace
rather than a museum of saints seeking religion. Thank you CSF; you are a
unique, lively, and crazy crowd.
Exhortation: Meal
Packing
Freshman year, CSF poured into me like a fire hose into a
teacup. With a whole ministry devoted to freshman, I felt special and loved.
Every Shift was encouraging, every Shift group meeting was life giving, and
every Synergy was awe-inspiring. Sophomore year, I was so excited to both pour
out into other freshman and be poured into in my Core group. CSF still felt
like a place of learning and receiving. However, as I got older, wiser, and
more mature, things began to change. CSF no longer filled me up. The CSF activities,
which used to be a waterfall of life, now seemed to be a sinkhole of drainage.
Unfortunately, this happens to most in our community. We grow and we grow and
we grow until we are too big to fit in the spiritual clothes that the CSF
activities offer. Now, I am the one pouring, giving, and serving with very
little people pouring into me. Service no longer has that fun and exciting
shine around it. Rather, it can be boring, hard, and uninteresting. Many who
experience this suddenly find distaste with CSF because it no longer offers
much value to them. They stop attending Synergy and retreats. They stop getting
excited about pancakes and parties. Everything seems dull and old hat. But when
this happens, we’ve reached the point when our job is no longer to consume the
spiritual meals Synergy and so on have to offer, but to pack meals for those to
come after us. When CSF no longer satisfies our hunger, we complain that it’s
changed and become more watered down when really our appetite has changed.
Community, please hear me when I say that if you have come
to the point where Synergy, and retreats, and trips, and parties no longer give
you life, it is time for you to start giving others life. You’ve enjoyed eating
for long enough. It’s time to start serving. So many in our community can
easily find a bad taste in their mouth because they no longer get what they
used to. Jesus encourages us to persevere and let Him be our nourishment so we
can feed others. You’ve been taught to feed yourself with Christ. Now it’s time
to go feed others.
Encouragement:
Welcome Home
CSF makes people feel at home. Many in our community do an
extraordinary job at making people feel welcome and loved. People come into our
community and they see how well we love each other. People see what we have and
think “I want some of that!” Thank
you CSF for being so open and inviting. “The Stump” at Winter Retreat was a
clear indicator that people come from all over to CSF and are immediately
immersed in real, authentic, life-giving community. CSF has been an amazing
home for me and others for the past 4 years. It’s no wonder that every winter
and summer break, I find myself yearning to return to the community here. Your
love is addicting. As Rachel and I look to find a new home here in a little
while, we can only hope that we find a community as endearing and welcoming as
this one. Thank you.
Exhortation: Clique
Calamity
Unfortunately, with a community as large as ours, cliques
are inevitable. I’ve noticed there are seasons in my life where I am incredibly
focused on making others feel encouraged, loved, and welcomed and other seasons
where I am so inwardly focused I don’t even care about the person crying next
to me. The challenge for us is to be grouped inclusively. There is no way to
stop our natural habit to form social circles, but we can control how easy it
is for people to come and go. Our social circles need to be fluid and open
rather than rigid and closed. As a community of Christ, we must always be aware
of how inclusive we are. I can offer no simple solution except to understand
that we have the tendency to become cliquey. Look no further than post-Synergy
or post-608 to see physical circles of people. Is that bad? Absolutely not. But
the trouble comes when those circles never change or intertwine or invite
others. Please community, do everything in your power to keep our social
landscape open so God’s love can flow through us. We are meant to be streams of
living water, not ponds.
Encouragement: Staff
Strength
CSF would be nothing without its amazing staff. We don’t
give the staff enough credit. They go through all the grunt work, long
meetings, and paper pushing it takes to keep CSF running as smoothly as it
does. In fact, I’ve noticed that our wonderful staff even sacrifices their own
spiritual walks with Christ to benefit us. I know several staff members who are
weary, tried and tired physically, emotionally, and spiritually, all for
us. How humbling is that?! I am so
thankful for the many staff members who have postponed their own personal
dreams and careers just so they can give life to ours. So be thankful for the
staff and do what they say. Their hearts are pure and their intentions are for
people to know Christ and experience His love. Be thankful for the CSF staff,
and if you can, give them a big ol’ hug. They deserve it.
Exhortation: Service
Sluggishness
This last exhortation is for the CSF leaders, myself
included. Because of the reasons listed—and many more—we as leaders don’t give
as much as we could. We’ve grown so big that we’ve all succumbed to the idea
that someone else will do what needs
to be done. Someone else will get to
know that new person at Synergy. Someone
else will go to that focus meeting. Someone
else will clean-up. Someone else
will do this and someone else will do
that. When we all have this mentality—and many times, we have—no one else steps up. We need to be the
first to want to serve, to love, to encourage, and to bring peace and not leave
someone else the responsibility.
I am no saint. In fact, I’m probably more guilty than most.
If I were to get on the stump in front of all of CSF, it would be to confess
that I haven’t been that great of a CSF Leader. We get caught up in our own
lives too easily. We enjoy the comfort of friends we’ve already made rather
than meeting someone new. We settle for the excuse of busyness when we have
more time now than we may ever have. We allow ourselves to discount the
importance of our attendance and attention. My hope for us as leaders is that
we take our commitments seriously and let our ‘yes’ be yes and our ‘no’ be no.
I’d rather have a group of 40 committed leaders than a group of 400 apathetic
ones. But I needn’t rant on. I just want us to make sure we are giving our
lives to Christ, our community, and each other rather than our own selfish
ambitions.
THANK YOU
But I shall not end this letter on a down note because all
that God’s done through this community far outweighs any that’s gone wrong. CSF
is such a beautiful and wonderful place. I thank each and every person at CSF
for the amazing fellowship, the incredible friendship, and the undeserving love
I’ve received. You all have been too good to me. I am so excited because I know
that God is going to use you to do far greater things than I ever did during my
short time here.
Jeremy, thanks for articulating all the things that have been bouncing around inside my head the last few weeks.
ReplyDeleteMy pleasure! There were several recent conversations that echoed the thoughts in this letter and the Spirit prompted us to get these thoughts out there.
ReplyDelete