Every brand has a motto—just do it, eat mor chikin, better
ingredients/better pizza. The motto acts as a life mission of sorts,
representing the end goal of an organization while encompassing the general
feeling that organization wants to capture. Moreover, it helps if the motto is
annoying enough to get stuck in your head—hellooooo 5 dollar footlong. In my career, they tell me to work on my personal brand, and if I had to give a motto for myself, it would
simply be “I’m learning”, because I find that almost always, I am doing just
that. The more I learn, the more I want to learn and the more I realize that I’ve
got a lot to learn.
One expression of learning is
written reflection AKA what you’re reading right now. These written words do
more than just organize my thoughts; they provide an outlet of information that
hardens into a life lesson learned as it pours onto the page. I hope if you
choose to read these words, that you’ll take each word carefully—and ignore the
grammar mistakes—so you might learn with me. I’m no expert on life, but I can
tell you this: I’m learning.
Humble Ambition
I’m approaching a milestone in my
career, and in August, I’ll take on a new role at work. While the change itself
is nothing monumental, the impending adjustment is enough to cause me to stop
and contemplate what exactly I want my career to look like. As I look into the
future, my opportunistic personality bristles at the thought of acquiring more
power, more acclaim, and more wealth, yet—fortunately for me—there is still a voice
loud enough to direct my attention elsewhere. While the mightiest businessmen
laud selfish ambition, the Holy Spirit whispers that it might be better to come
last, rather than first. I see wisdom in ambition but joy in humility, and I
find myself wondering how to reconcile the utility of aspiration with the merits
of meekness. As I look into my ever changing [pick a number]-year plan, I notice
myself getting caught up in an endless
pursuit of achievements and accolades. I know Jesus teaches me to be “as shrewd
as a serpent but as innocent as a dove,” but how do I become shrewd without
becoming the Serpent? What am I striving for? Is it possible to be humble and
ambitious?
After spending months trying to
figure out what I want to achieve, I’ve determined that I want my greatest successes to be friendships. While common
business practice is to use the people around me to acquire greater wealth (i.e.
networking), I would much rather use my worldly wealth to acquire greater
friendships—like the shrewd manager in Luke
16. At the end of my career, it won’t be the long-service awards or the
retirement fund I’m most proud of, but instead the relationships that grew out
of Christ’s love. If we truly are eternal beings, than the shrewd action plan is
to use temporary supplies to secure eternal payoffs. I realize that “I want to
make friends” isn’t a traditional career map, but then again, my career isn’t exactly
my life’s purpose.
In a sense,
my ambition is to become more humble—not that I want to think less of myself,
but I would rather think of myself less. Similarly, if my ambition is to become
a great leader, than my plan of action is to be a great servant. Beautiful things happen when humility and
leadership become friends. There is now no doubt in my mind that leaders worth following
are those who lead from behind in importance but ahead in example. While a
self-ambitious leader presses off the shoulders of their followers to achieve
new heights, it takes a selfless leader to elevate an entire group of people
from below. That is my humble ambition—to make myself and everyone around me
more like Christ through love, encouragement, and prayer.
Creator vs. Consumer
In my
analysis of my future plans, I’ve realized that most of my “to-dos” derive from
what I can consume, rather than what I can create. My list of purchases extends
5 years out, my list of new restaurants is ever-growing, and my list of places
to visit might as well be a world atlas. Everyday holds a constant stream of
food, entertainment, and Netflix while future plans are riddled with vacations to
take, things to purchase, and experiences to try. But while consumption has its
rewards, my Creator is calling me to be like Him. In all of recorded history,
God is creating, healing, building, and rebuilding; when we create anything, we
are becoming more like Him. The truth is, clothes fade. Entertainment ends. New
toys get old quick. You’re not going to see my impressive binge-watching skills
on my resume and my satisfaction from a good meal lasts about 15 minutes. You
won’t find me on my death bed saying “You know what? I was just too generous. I
wish I would have watched more Netflix instead!”
I want to
grow friendships, build business value, cultivate life-long memories, plant
encouragement, spread hope, establish peace, create love, and love creating. If
we can only reap what I sow, then a lifetime of sports, Netflix, video games,
food, sleep, and vacation isn’t a fruitful harvest. However, one problem with ‘creating’
is that it isn’t as fun or amusing as consuming. It’s hard work. It’s much
easier to watch Netflix for 3 hours than it is to pray for 15 minutes. It takes
less emotional energy to assume everyone is doing alright than to intentionally
encourage someone even if they may not “deserve” it. It’s more work walking
with others through hardships than it is minding your own business. While
consuming is about what you can get, creating is about what you can give.
One of the
real changes to result from this reflection has been the cancellation of
Netflix (Gasp!), the deletion of all my video games, and the extinction of
cable television. While I may now have to wrestle with boredom every once in a
while, my focus is no longer how can I
pass this time? But rather, who can I
invest this time in? Whether I choose to invest my time in myself, my wife,
or my neighbors down the hall, I know that time spent creating laughter,
prayer, reflection, memories, and encouragement is time well spent.
An Awe-Full Life
One of the
reasons I love to travel is because I find a sense of awe in new surroundings,
and that awe leads me to a new appreciation of who God is. I’m convinced that awe is one of the purest forms of worship. There
is nothing that exalts the Creator more than being in awe of His creation,
whether it’s a miraculous healing or a summer sunset. Awe doesn’t have to come
from the Grand Canyon; it can come from daily thankfulness, from silent prayer,
from goofiness, from dirt, from a smile, and from a tear. Awe is not restricted
to Hawaii (though Hawaii certainly helps). Awe is as simple as a breath and as
complex as the starry sky.
As I lay out my ever-changing life plans, I
want each moment to ooze with awe: awe in His financial providence, awe from
His natural creation, awe in my love for my wife, awe in my friendships, awe in
childhood, awe in parenthood, awe in my career path, awe in silence, awe in
music, awe in my five senses, awe in blessing, awe in tragedy, awe in
evangelism, awe in my salvation. I have no idea what my life will look like 10
years from now, 1 year from now, even 5 minutes from now, but I pray that I
might live an awe-full life.

0 comments:
Post a Comment