So I have been reflecting on what it means to love God with all of my mind. What does that look like? Because I know several people who know all about God, but they do not know God. Conversely, I know people who know God intimately who haven’t the slightest care in the world about theology. Quite frankly, I don’t want to care about theology either. I was listening to a discussion today that consisted of people running through and rattling off what they thought of different theologies. Calvinist or Armenian? Pentecostal or Presbyerian? Methodist or Baptist? Is this really necessary? What does Jesus mean by “Love God with all of your mind?” I don’t think it has anything to do with theology.
Proverbs 1:7 “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction.”
So if we want to learn true knowledge, we need to respect the one who gives it. If we go in the quest for knowledge with the intention of seeking what will only reinforce our own preconceptions, we are seeking to worship ourselves. If we comply with God’s directions only when it fits in with our goals and interests, then we are trying to get God to orbit around us. If you pick and choose what you want to believe and reject the rest, how will you ever have a God that can contradict you? You won’t! You’ll have a Stepford God! A God, essentially, of your own making, and a not a God with whom you can have a relationship and genuine interaction. Only if your God can say things that outrage you and make you struggle (as in a friendship or marriage!) will you know that you have often a hold of a real God and not a figment of your imagination.
For it is written: “ I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.” Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 1 Cor. 1:19-20
God humbles those who lean on their own understanding. He seems to give wisdom to those who understand that they have no wisdom of their own. Only with humility can one handle the wisdom of God. In fact, we are called to be humble and dependent on God like a child.
God wants a child’s heart, but a grown-up’s head. He wants us to be simple, single-minded, affectionate, and teachable, as good children are; but He also wants every bit of intelligence we have to be alert at its job, and in first-class fighting trim… Anyone who is honestly trying to be a Christian will soon find his intelligence being sharpened: one of the reasons why it needs no special education to be a Christian is that Christianity is an education itself.
–C.S. Lewis-
“No man can give the impression that he himself is clever and that Christ is mighty to save” –Janes Denney-
We must think consciously for the glory of Christ. We should enjoy the word of God like gold and honey. But ultimately, we should think for the sake of love. Knowledge is so that we can know God more to treasure Him more and to bring as much good to other people as we can—especially the eternal good of enjoying God through Christ.
Knowing and thinking exist for the sake of love—for the sake of building people up in faith. Thinking that produces pride is not true thinking. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. -1 Corinthians 1:25
I love God because I know Him. And I want to know Him more because I love Him. This is a wonderful vortex of ever increasing joy. The more I know God, the less I think about myself.
It is when we seek God that we find wisdom. Searching for wisdom in itself is foolishness. So let’s love God with all of our mind and let’s get to know Him.
Let's take captive every thought for the glory of God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Those are the only thoughts worth anything.
0 comments:
Post a Comment