When
it comes to managing money, I struggle to know whether I’m doing all of the right things. Maybe that’s why I frequently peruse the latest financial
advice and find myself asking what would
Dave Ramsey do? Finance is one of those no-one-right-answer topics, along
with relationships, career, parenting, and so on. Because of that, I know there is no way to prescribe some miracle pill of financial advice—especially at
the ripe age of 22. However, one thing I do know is that giving is important (and
fun!). But being the left-brained, analytics data junkie that I am, I crave
practicality. I get it that I am supposed to give, but tell me when, where,
why, and how. I love being told that I should live simply so that others might simply live, but when it comes to
the dollars and cents, what does that even mean?
It
gets lonely when you stop trying to keep up with the Jones’. This world of
advertising bent on reducing the typical human into a materialistic vacuum
makes me cry out like Charlie Brown: Does anyone know the true meaning of
generosity?! In the following words, I am purposefully laying my financial
heart bare. I just want others to know that you aren’t the only one struggling
to be generous. So come along with me as I tell of some of the ways God has
blessed me so that I can bless others. If
we don’t encourage each other to find the true meaning of generosity, who will?
Compassion Kids
When
I was a freshman in college, my local college ministry had a Compassion event.
If you’re not familiar with what that is, it’s when they handle out packets of
information about children who make the “struggle bus” look like a Rolls-Royce.
They might as well play In the Arms of
the Angel and give out free puppies with each purchase. That night, I was unable
to prevent myself from feeling pain with them; I had fallen victim to
compassion. I walked over to the table to peruse the pretty little faces on
those cards. It felt like trying to pick a new best friend. I landed on little Joseph
from Ghana. There was nothing special about him. He didn’t have puppy dog eyes
or a cleft palette. He just so happened to be where my finger landed. To
sponsor to Joseph, it would cost 45 dollars a month. As a college freshman, it
felt like I was giving away my fun money; now I know it’s barely a water drop
in the ocean of material blessing that I swim. Ever since then, I’ve ponied up
the monthly payment and tried my hardest to remember to write little JoJo a
letter every few months. I can tell you now that it was one of the greatest
investments of my life. I can’t explain to you what it feels like to be
responsible to for the physical, spiritual, and economic development of a human
being that you have never me; Often times, I’ve felt the full weight of the joy
of the Father.
On
May 18th, I married my beautiful wife, and we committed to another
compassion child: Dayana, born on May 18th. We plan on adding to our
compassion family for each biological child that may come our way as well, each
one bearing the same birthday as our child. If you don’t sponsor a child, then
you have no way of understanding this joy. You’re missing out.
A Holy Investment
Right
before marrying Rachel, we asked God to show us how to honor Him with our
money. His first answer was to add a compassion child for each significant life
event, as described above. His second was the following: For each year Rachel
and I are married, we will increase our tithe 1%. Right now, we haven’t even
been married a year, so we only give 10 percent of our pre-tax income; after 10
years of marriage, we’ll be up to 20%; after 50 years—you guessed it—we will be
up to 60%. I think it’s just as crazy as you do; trust me. But I guarantee you
that at the end of my life “I will never
say that I gave too much.” Will I succeed at this daunting financial
waterfall? I have no idea. But I know that God is faithful so that means I can
be too.
Operation Christmas Child
Rachel
and I just filled our Operation Christmas Child boxes with toys and our hearts
with joys. I don’t care how cheesy that statement was, it’s true.
Epic Meal Time
While
piling 20 cheeseburgers onto a bacon covered pizza like the epic meal time guys
is fun, giving up 20 cheeseburgers so that others can have 4 times as much is
an even better time. Through organizations like Feed My Starving Children and
many others, it only costs 25 cents to provide a meal to someone without one.
That’s 4 meals to a dollar; beat that McDonalds! Become a real dollar menu-naire
and give up a meal so others may have many meals. If you’ve never fasted
before, then try a new way of “hungering and thirsting for righteousness”. The
thankfulness you feast on far outweighs the pain in your stomach.
Here’s a Tip
How
can it be that some Christians are the worst tippers in the world? It’s amazing
what an extra $20 on top of a tip can do for someone’s life. Rach and I love
writing a quick prayer on the back of the receipt, leaving a Samson-sized tip,
and explaining that because God loves us, we can love them.
Pay It Backwards
This
one is just plain fun: go through the drive-thru and pay for the person’s meal
behind you. See if you can find a Chevy Tahoe filled with a stressed soccer mom
and her 6 kids to bless. The great thing is you can get the drive-thru workers
to join in on the fun. If you’re lucky, they’ll continue the trend. God’s love
multiplies
Every
time I give money, I never regret it. Go do something you won’t regret. Go
invent other creative ways to give and tell me about them. Let’s teach each
other how to give and spurn each other to love with our money.
'Tis the season of blessings and giving.... you have inspired my family to give even more than we already do! Thanks for your wonderful words and creative ways to give!
ReplyDelete