If you missed the last blog post about freshman year, here it is:

What I learned in College: Sophomore Year

No community, no ease of growth
After freshman year, I transitioned from a community chock-full of deep friendships and life-giving activities to good ol’ Goshen where I was born and raised. It’s a case of “You don’t know what you got until it’s gone.” As most college students have learned, summer presents you with two options: slip back into old habits or forge a new summer lifestyle. Summers can become spiritual black holes for many. You don’t pursue God as hard. You don’t pray as much. You don’t hang out with as wholesome friends as you used to. Yes, for a college kid, the summer can be like a journey through the spiritual desert. I learned that community is important and seeking God in the desert is even more so.

God isn’t tied to location
I went from college life to interning at General Electric. It was my first real job. I had no idea what I was doing. But I impressed the interviewers enough to get a 16 dollar an hour job at a well respected company. I loved working there—and the money was nice too. But it felt strange because it seemed as if the Jesus inside couldn’t get out. It’s like the workplace felt spiritually stale, dark, and cold. Was it me? Would I always have to suffocate the Holy Spirit to fit into the work place? Was God just not as prevalent in Louisville as he was at CSF and UK? Fortunately, all of these questions were answered when God burst through my stale religion and taught me that He isn’t confined to location anymore. Rather, He is hidden inside of people. This was the first of many lessons about who God was, not where God was. A friend of mine always said: “If you feel farther away from God, who moved? It wasn’t God. It was you.

Lust enslaves, Jesus Frees
If you are a female, you might want to read this to know what men struggle with—or you might not. If you are a man, you might be all too familiar with this lesson. Sadly, you’ll hear an armada of men admit one common struggle: lust. For 7 years of my life, I struggled with lust. I was enslaved to lustful thoughts, pornography, masturbation, and the like. No one knew about it. There was no way I would admit that to my parents. There was no way I would admit that to my shift group at CSF. It was my little secret. The thing was, I thought every man was enslaved to it, but nobody ever talked about it. I just figured that everyone was like me. The idea of someone living free of pornography and masturbation seemed ludicrous to me at the time. That’s how deceived I was. For 7 years, I tried every method I could to stop. I wrote on my wrists. I kept a calendar of how often I did it to see if I could go longer and longer without it. I went to extreme lengths to stop, but all of my efforts failed. To everyone else, I was just a well-groomed, well-fed, good Christian boy. But to myself, I was a sniveling little hypocrite living a lie. The summer before sophomore year came around, and it was the same old, same old. I would ‘trip,’ pick myself up, go a little farther, and trip again. It was exhausting. Fortunately, God had a different plan for my life. One day, a friend of mine gave me a WWJD bracelet. I figured, “maybe I can keep this on my wrist to stop this destructive cycle.” I wasn’t very hopeful since every similar attempt up to this point had failed. But I went with it. That night, I cried out to God and asked Him to free me once and for all. I was done. I couldn’t take it anymore. I wanted this thing called “The Holy Spirit” to take over my life. I knew I couldn’t fix my life. I needed Him to. I wish I could tell you that fire came out of the ceiling fan and zapped me, but it didn’t. I went to bed tired and helpless. But a funny thing happened in the ensuing days. I was no longer regularly consumed with lustful thoughts. I no longer had unquenchable urges to look at pornography. It was like I had a confidence and power over it. Finally, I had come in full contact with the Holy Spirit. I was living and breathing anew. What I finally learned was that I couldn’t just incorporate Jesus into my life and hope it fixed me. I had to die and be born again. The old ‘me’ was no longer and the new had come. It was incredible.  I am not ashamed to talk about it now, because it is a testament to the power of God. I have never known anyone with sexual sin who had a thriving spiritual life. To the men out there, you have two options. Option A: Become a slave to the idea of a girl who will do anything you want to satisfy you sexually. Or, Option B: Become a slave to The Holy Spirit and, in some cases, find a girl who wants to make you more like Christ. People are betting millions of dollars that you pick Option A. I hope you’ll go with Option B. The Holy Spirit is a much kinder master. You can’t just wean yourself off sexual sin. You have to kill it. Use the sharp double-edged sword of the Spirit.

God uses relationships, even if they don’t end in marriage
Going into sophomore year, I was in a relationship with a very nice Christian girl. We had a fun time together but we had a lot to learn. Long story short, it didn’t work out. But even though it didn’t end in marriage like we thought it would, God still used the relationship to cultivate and grow us both. And because God was the center of it, there were no hard feelings or bad blood when it ended. Sure there was awkwardness and pain, but I was never angry at her for it not working out and I’m confident she could say the same. In fact, the break-up led into an even more growth. My best friend told me: “You know, that was a good relationship and all, but that was an even better break-up.” It just goes to show that God uses relationships, even unsuccessful romantic ones, to grow us and lead us closer to Him. At any point in time, you are either growing closer to God and getting farther away. There is no in between. Relationships—both joyful ones and painful ones—are one method God uses to get our attention. Another piece of wisdom: Date as if your girlfriend/boyfriend could end up marrying your best friend. You want to be respectful enough that if you were the best man in a wedding between that girlfriend and your best friend, it wouldn’t be (too) awkward.

Recreational reading
Growing up, I hated reading and writing. I was the math whiz. The thought of writing a blog post just for fun made me want to puke (ironic, I know). But something happened to me as I began to grow in Christ that year. I had a sudden urge to read Christian books. I churned through book after book, week after week. Video games? No thanks, I’ll be over there reading. I don’t know what changed, but I can say with confidence that reading books about both Jesus and great Jesus followers elevated my life to a whole new level. It started with Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and Crazy Love by Francis Chan. Next thing I know I’m reading Tozer, Max Lucado, Chip Ingram, Spurgeon, Brennan Manning, Henri Nouwen, and so on and so forth. The truth is, reading Christian books reminds you of deep truths and puts you in fellowship with Christ. Books challenge the intellect and soften the heart. God wants us to have the faith of a child, but a mind that’s in its fittest, fighting form. If you want to grow in Christ, pick up a book. It can help you a lot more than trudging through the book of Deuteronomy. That said, don’t let your books supersede reading the Bible. That’s like trading the steak for the steak knife.

You don’t have to wait for permission to do something big
My sophomore year, God told me to do a campus wide clothes drive. I said, “Okay, but You have to help me.” Needless to say, we packed 25 huge home depot boxes and completely flooded the Lexington Refuge Office. I learned sophomore year that if I was bold enough, God was generous enough. We have this idea that we have to have permission to do something big for Christ, but that’s simply not true. Sophomore year, my friends and I used the resources at hand to organize a shoe drive (450 pairs of shoes collected), a clothes drive, Operation Christmas Child (35 boxes collected), Feed My Starving Children Bake Sale (2000 meals provided), led 50-100 people to Passion Conference (Michael Rundell more so than me) each year, and much more. Not only that, but we used the amazing house God gave us to hold huge potlucks (60-90 people everytime), weekly movie nights (15-30 people weekly), weekly prayer nights (10-30 people), and so on. Am I saying all of this to brag? Absolutely not! God has taught me (after many lessons) not to care what others think and that I am nothing without Him. I am recording all of this just to show what God does with those who are seeking to serve Him with boldness. God taught me that being a poor college kid does not exempt me from doing big things for the Kingdom of God. Don’t wait for someone else to ask you to do something big. Do it yourself. If you succeed, you get to see God rightfully glorified. If it fails, you learn and God is still glorified.


Pride is a spiritual cancer
Because God was using me to do some pretty cool things—and I was single and not lusting for the first time in my life—I allowed some toxic pride to grow in my heart. Suddenly, I was all about how many people liked my Facebook status, how many people attended parties that I threw, how many girls liked me (if any), and any other measure by which a man could be proud of. I let my heart get away from me. I got lost in trying to woo girls and make as many friends as possible. Sure I was doing good things, but my heart was beginning to shrivel. Fortunately, God does what God does best: take me down a few notches so I stop looking down at other people and have to look up at Him. Pride is the beginning of every sin. When we start making things about ME, and not about HIM, our life quickly falls apart. It’s not until we can give up our self—the very thing that has made us tired and miserable for all these years—that we can truly find joy in Him. God brought me low so He could build me up right again. He sat me down and told me “Stop doing things for me and start seeking me. You can’t do anything to make me love you more and you can’t do anything to make me love you less. You could sit at the edge of a dock and drink sweet tea all day and I would be okay with that. Stop measuring yourself by what you accomplish. Measure yourself by how close you are to Me.”

We have to come to the point where we can be just as happy for someone who achieved something great as if we had done it our self. We should boast in Christ alone. When we truly give up our pride and become humble, we will bear the fruits of the spirit: Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Gentleness, Faithfulness, and Self-Control.

People are people, and they all respond to love
God taught me how to love people for who they are and not what they can do for me. Suddenly, I found myself writing letters to old high school friends to apologize for my past behavior and to tell them about Christ. Suddenly, I began seeking freshman from my high school so I could introduce them to life in a Christian community and not let them get lost in worldly obsession. Suddenly, I began serving in downtown communities and seeing needy people as friends, not projects. Suddenly, I began loving people regardless of whether they were thankful or not. Suddenly, I stopped talking about people behind their back and started encouraging them to their face (or Facebook). God taught me that we are all wired to respond to love. Regardless of whether someone is my coworker, my annoying neighbor, my local homeless man, my best friend, my teacher, or my nemesis, they are all people and they all respond to love.

The American Dream is lame
God opened my eyes to see that the American Dream isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. One method was Radical by David Platt. Another was seeing Haiti with my own two eyes. I no longer saw the world in opportunity and selfish gain, but instead, opportunity to give and selfless sacrifice. American Christians aren’t normal. We’re the weird ones. Most Christians around the world give all they have for the sake of the gospel. We complain when we don’t like the carpet color in our church. God started moving my heart to see the helpless, the lost, the hurt, the broken, the downtrodden, the widows, and the orphans. Suddenly, living a luxurious lifestyle wasn’t justified when millions of people struggle just to make it another day. Sometimes I’d like to ask God why there is so much brokenness when He can do something about it. But, I am afraid He would ask me the same question. We are the method God chose to heal this world. When we ignore the cry of the helpless, we mock the heart of Jesus. The Kingdom of God belongs to the lowest in this world. So this idea that we are supposed to be happy and to bless ourselves is a big and well advertised lie. We are supposed to be His and bless others.

Singleness isn’t a sickness
My second semester of sophomore year, I took a vow of singleness for the whole semester. I was serious about pursuing God and I didn’t want my fickle heart to get in the way. It’s amazing how you don’t realize how much you think about girls until you are not allowed to. Suddenly, I had nothing to think about. I never paid attention in class and I couldn’t think about girls, so now I had nothing worthwhile to think about except for God. I strongly recommend that every person who isn’t married to wrestle with the idea of singleness. In our culture today, we idolize romantic relationships. But Jesus flips everything on its head and tells us that our greatest romance is with Him, not each other. God taught me that I didn’t need a girl to be whole. In fact, it wasn’t until a relationship with a girl would help me glorify God more than singleness that one should come. Don’t let society convince you that you need another person to be satisfied. God is the one who satisfies. Your relationship status does not determine your worth. For about 1500 years, marriage was considered a cop-out to serving God. The strong were single. Let that challenge your idea of what serving God looks like. You don’t need to be married to serve God more.


Living the fasting life
Sophomore year, I learned how to fast. Not many Christians fast. It’s sort of a confusing topic for most Christians. But I found that when you take Jesus’ words that “blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled” seriously, He comes through. When I literally hunger for righteousness in my life and others, the Holy Spirit seems to move in power. Regardless of whether it’s because I am humbling myself or because of something I simply don’t understand, it creates results. If you’ve never fasted, give it a try. It will bless your life (and others) more than you think.


That’s all for my sophomore year. Check out my post on junior year: Coming Soon