Forgetfulness
Often times, we don’t really need to learn a new lesson, but instead, we need to remember a deep truth. This especially plays out when we are going through the humdrum of daily life. In daily routines and consistency, there isn’t much to learn or blog about. I’m at a point in my life where I know the bible pretty consistently and it takes a lot of digging to learn something new. Yet, when I read it, I somehow find myself in awe with the feeling of discovery, not because I learned something I haven’t learned before, but because I have remembered it. Maybe that’s why Paul tells us to think about whatever is righteous, good, noble, just (or even funny). Maybe that’s why God instructs us to write His words on our heart and teach them to our children. Here are some things that I already know, but I need to remind myself regularly:
Don’t worry- There’s nothing to worry about. God is in control. What’s the worst that could happen? Death? That just means you get to the end goal. Who wouldn’t want that? Stop thinking about the future because you have no idea what’s coming. So many things can change in a week, not to mention a year. God will work out all things for your good if you love Him. How can you go around saying you’re going to be on this retreat or do that job or be with that person or travel to that place as if you owned any second in your life? You should instead think: “If it’s God’s will, I’ll be there or do that or be with that person” and so on. Worry about what you’re doing right now and that’s it. You don’t have to figure your life out. God will be a lamp unto your feet, not a spotlight illuminating the whole way. So just stop worrying about the details you can’t control and enjoy each blessing as it comes. That’s the way life is meant to be lived.
Chill out- You don’t have to worry about your performance. There is nothing you can do to increase God’s love for you and there is nothing you can do to make him love you less. Simply take the things He has given you, and use them to glorify Him. You don’t have to lead a million people to Christ. You don’t have to write a moving sermon or rise to the top of a fortune 500 company. You don’t need to impress your friends (or your enemies). Give God everything and He will use you as He wants. The wonderful thing is that when you stop worrying and stop fretting about whether you are doing the right thing, your life becomes the adventure you so earnestly want. You have been saved by grace. There is nothing else needed from you in regards to how God loves you.
Be a child- God isn’t looking for strict servants to carry out His purposes, He wants children to share Himself with. Don’t forget to stop and stand in awe of all He is doing around you. Look at that grape you just ate. Isn’t it weird? What is taste? Why do we have to eat all the time? Why is it so enjoyable? Look how the grape is designed to just pop off of the vine. Isn’t it beautiful? Look around and take in all the gifts the Father has given you. Be in awe. If a child can spend hours playing with a stick in the mud, I can be fascinated by the grapes in my hand. Your Father knows just what you need before you even ask Him. Like a good Father, He knows what you need and deeply cares about your life. Don't let the enemy convince you that your Father isn't with you. He is. Believe like a child. Lastly, since when has a Father ever really needed anything from His son? God doesn't need anything from you. So stop working and start worshiping.
Let love leak out of you- Never forget to love those closest to you. People are people, and they all respond to love. Just because they’re your coworker or the person making your subway sandwich doesn’t mean they are not a person. There is no such thing as an ordinary person. Every person is a unique piece of the image and personality of God; you can’t find it anywhere else in the world. So stop worrying about yourself—God’s promised to take care of that—and start living and laughing and loving with other people. Like the Hokey Pokey, that’s what it’s all about.
Take a joke- Don’t forget to laugh at yourself. You’re an idiot. You’re a goober. You make some ridiculous mistakes. When you become serious, you get cold and unloving and hard to be around. Pride loves to be serious. Humility loves to laugh. When it comes to yourself and your troubles, have a good laugh; when it comes to others and their troubles have a good love. I think laughing is one of the holiest activities around. I think we forget that God is the God of laughter. In fact, He has a perfect sense of humor. I can’t wait to laugh at myself with Jesus one day. All the good things I’ll ever do in my life are by God’s grace, so I can’t claim them. I can only boast in God. All the bad things I’ll do in my life are washed by the blood of the His sacrifice. I’m not going to spend my time in eternity (no matter how much of it I have) being remorseful over my sin. It will be wiped away! Instead, I’ll have a good laugh and worship the God who laughs with me. So take it easy. You’re a hot mess and God is okay with that. He not only loves you, but He likes you! There is a time to weep and a time to laugh. Don’t neglect the latter.
Don’t forget the poor- You live a life of luxury. If you are reading this (which you are), then are are rich compared to most. Be thankful. Be generous. Don’t forget the hungry, the downtrodden, the hopeless. You’re greatest joy in this life will be giving God’s greatest graces to them. This life isn’t about you and your comfort. God redeemed you so you could be the method in which He loves and heals the world. Don’t think “O, I‘ve been saved, it’s all cheesecake and cherries on top from here.” You have been saved for a purpose and that purpose is to love, specifically to love the least of these. Do you think God got you that awesome job or opportunity so you could blow all the money going to theme parks and vacations? No. He has blessed you to bless others. You can certainly enjoy a vacation at Cedar Point if you’d like to because if you love God and love His people, all the rest is just details. Just don’t forget, God has a special heart for the poor. Do you think you have been given an able body, a working car, a group of friends, and working internet just for your own pleasure? No. You’ve been given all of these to do His will. It’s a blessing to bless, so get blessing! A life lived for others is the only life worth living. That’s who God is: three persons in constant service and love to each other. So be like God and bless the poor.
Learning more about God doesn’t mean you’ll know God- Don’t be a stalker of Jesus. Be a friend. Learning bible facts isn’t going to help you when you want to know what God is thinking. To truly know Him, you have to seek Him. Talk to Him. Serve Him. How do you know if you really love God? By obeying Him. There is no other way. Once you learn His commands, do them. Don’t just sit there and reflect on what He told you to do. How happy would your mom be if she told you to clean your room and you came back bragging about how you memorized her command?
Persevere- It feels like I am allergic to pain. But what son wouldn’t expect discipline from His father? Why am I so afraid of trials and tribulations? The disciples would rejoice when they were persecuted. As they would get hurled out of the temples, they would literally march home singing “Your love never fails! It never gives up! It never runs out on me!” Okay not literally. But I’d like to think they sang One Thing Remains… If home is where the heart is, and my heart is with Jesus, then I’m not home yet. When the early Christians were marched into coliseums to be fed to the lions, they would sing sweet hymns of praise, because they knew they were going home. Consider it PURE joy when you face trials of many kinds, because you know this will give you perseverance, which will make you pure and mature. God’s goal isn’t to make you happy; it’s to make you His: holy and mature.
Plunder Hell to Populate Heaven- Unfortunately, the road to destruction is an 8 lane highway. But that doesn’t mean you can’t plunder some prisoners with God’s grace. Why are you so worried about rejection? If you had the cure for cancer, wouldn’t you insist on giving it to someone, even if they rejected it at first? It’s not even you that does the talking, but it’s the Holy Spirit in you that does the work. So what have you got to lose? I’d rather be friends with someone for eternity, than acquaintances in this short life.
All of these things I strain to remember and constantly forget. Fortunately, Jesus is good at timely reminders. One of the greatest things you can do is ask God to remind you of your identity in Christ. If you figure out who you are and Who’s you are, you’ll know just what to do.
0 comments:
Post a Comment