Jeremy’s Junior Year Lessons

It’s the end of the school year and it is time to look back on all the fun lessons God has hammered in to my thick headed skull. Yes, it’s the time of year that is painfully nostalgic. Summer is here and you just don’t know what to do with yourself. But before the cavalcade of chlorine, Frisbee, and the ever present sweaty back, it is time to reflect on just a few of the lessons I have learned from my junior year at the University of Kentucky.

Overcoming five minutes of awkwardness is the first stepping stone to eternal friendships. God made this one evident during the free food fair otherwise known as K-Week. It was the time to put on a smile and get talking to everyone around you. Where are you from? What year are you? What’s your major? What dorm are you living in? What is your favorite pokemon? … But it is amazing how far you can advance the kingdom by simply remembering people’s name. I have heard numerous stories of how new people have come around our community and been drawn in by the crazy personalities and goofy smiles. One thing is for sure, no matter who you talk to, people are people and they all respond to love. It is amazing what can happen when you meet someone and get to know them for who they are rather than just walk around content with your little social circle. Normally, I like to sit in my comfortable social bubble and say hi to those who regularly peak my interest. But so many times, God has yanked me out of my clique-y cardboard box and thrown me into a pit of hissing freshman. Looking back on all the new friends I have made this semester, it is incredible how many friendships resulted from allowing my walls of comfort to crumble. It seems when I really love people, they feel loved. It seems when I really listen to people because they are talking and not because they are interesting, they feel appreciated. It seems when I want to know someone for their sake, and not my own, they feel God pulling them into community. Strange isn’t it? What a novel concept.

School is lame. Okay, I didn’t just learn this. And it isn’t necessarily true. I am ridiculously blessed to have my biggest worries be about the grade of a paper. God is too patient with me. I am too busy whining about having to learn new things while people are having to learn new things just to survive. Because I am a college student, I am in the top 5% of the world’s wealthiest. Who knew the life of a high roller was eating mac and cheese and cutting coupons? I am too blessed to be stressed. I need an attitude of gratitude. I need to actually work hard at school so I can glorify my God. And for once, I think I actually learned that this year because I put it into practice. But don’t think it means I stepped foot in the library. I will never date Willy T.

Gossip leaves a bad taste in your mouth. For real. Gossip is nasty. God has been teaching me that though gossip and slander is quite tasty when it touches the tongue, it leaves an after taste that just drives me crazy. In what has seemed like the year of new relationships and old pranks, gossip has been the maniacal method to make the social world go round. Having entered into a relationship in a less than conventional way, Rachel and I were on the business end of a gossip train loaded with opinions and questions. It doesn’t feel so great. In fact, it’s hard to savor community when the community is savoring you at your expense. But I digress. God has shown that my gossip prevents Him from showing His love. I had to learn that there is a difference between wanting people’s best interest and trying to force my own interests on them. When am I being considerate? When I am praying for someone. When am I being destructive? When I am talking about someone. Bad taste after bad taste, God has convinced me that I don’t need to talk about people, just pray. If I think they are doing something wrong, I’ll let Him know about it, not my lab partner.

People just want to be accepted. This is an odd one. But this school year has showed me that people just want other people to like them. Everything we do beckons the acceptance of those around us. All year, I have seen girls yearn and flirt and dress so that guys will like them. All year, I have seen guys flex and lift and joke so that girls will like them. Why is it that when another person likes the same person you do, they become your enemy? Why are we so wrapped up in the approval in others? I am no exception. I probably never will be. Fortunately, God has been making me care less and less about the non-existent negative opinion of my peers. God hit me hard with John 5:44 : “How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God?” We are all running around trying to get each other to like us when God is patiently asking us to give up our worthless self-conception for something unimaginably glorious. It seems when I submit my life to the One who loves me the most, I am free from public opinion, from looking for love in all the wrong places, from seeking confirmation in the mirror, from measuring success by laughter. Let’s break our mirrors and stop comparing each other so we can look to the Incomparable One.

Impatience isn’t fun. I’ll be honest, God has really grown the fruit of patience in me. What’s so fun about getting angry when things don’t go your way? More often than not, an interruption in my day is just God leading me somewhere rather than an injustice that must be corrected. Who am I to say that any time is mine? It is all given. So why spend it bickering about traffic or people who don’t show up on time? Patience is fun! It allows you to enjoy something in the midst of pain. It gives you sunshine in the midst of rain. It brings along its friends, Joy and Thankfulness. I need to hang out with patience more often.

Celebrating people is the best time ever. Several times over the year, we had party after party for our friends. There is nothing more joyful than forgetting about your own problems and throwing someone a party. I love showing people love by giving them food, friends, and gifts. When you love people, money is never an issue. Time is never an issue. The only thing you need is a date, a location, and some refreshments. Now I get why Jesus told us to invite the least of these to the banquets. It is so much fun! You want to know what heaven is like? Throw a banquet and go all out for those who can’t do it themselves. Jesus always attends the party.

Giving is still more satisfying than taking. Not so much a new lesson, be a reassured one. Joy is found in giving and serving. Point blank. Period.

Praying for people is always worth it. This is a biggie. So many times, God has answered my boldest prayers and shown me things I could never have imagined. My prayers are rarely about myself anymore. I know God will take care of me. Now He is showing me that if I ask, He will take care of others too. Furthermore, God has spoke to me in some crazy ways when I listen. I need to spend more time with Him. I don’t know how He did it, but He got rid of all stuff that was keeping me from hearing him. I guess I was just worrying too loud about myself. I have seen so much power through prayer. God is too good.

Worrying about the future is never worth it. If you’re over-thinking, you’re under-praying. If you’re over planning, you’re under-living. When you are a junior, you are in an awkward limbo of being in the center of your college career and having one foot out the door. So many times this semester, I would try and plan out my life years out in advance when Jesus is snapping his fingers trying to get my attention so I can focus on the task at hand. From vacations to relationships to careers to locations, I was wrapped up in what I wanted my future to look like. Thank God, He has a much better plan than I do. He showed me that planning out my life is an idol. As many times as I learn this, it seems everyday has enough trouble of its own. If I need to plan for something today, then I will. If it can wait, it will wait. My rule now is no thinking about anything that isn’t within a week’s time. Maybe I’ll get good enough to only think about each day. We’ll see. God still has a lot of work to do.

God reveals himself through relationships. In all relationships, God shows who he is. In friendship. In family. In romance. It’s strange; I am not a father, but God has taught me so much about fatherhood. I am not married, but God has taught me so much about marriage. I don’t know how I have friends, but God uses those relationships all the time. It seems God shows Himself through relationship because that is exactly who He is. He is three personalities in one being. God is love. He always has been; He always will be. An obvious way God has taught me more about himself is through my relationship with Rachel. I find joy in encouraging Rachel, yet He finds even more joy in encouraging me. I find joy in serving Rachel, yet He finds even more joy in serving me. Why would an all powerful God who needs no one serve me? Love. I don’t understand it, but I’m thankful. Just as I see past the flaws in Rachel, He sees past the flaws in me. Just as I get to woo Rachel whether she deserves it or not, He gets to woo me whether I deserve it or not. Just as I want Rachel’s best interest, He wants mine ever more. Just as I deny my own desires to fulfill her needs, He denies Himself to fulfill me. God has brought Rachel and me together for His glory. For His glory it shall be.

Here are some other noteworthy lessons:
-Lexington is a special place. I am going to miss it when if I leave for good.
-Southland is a special church. I will always be a part of it in heart.
-CSF is a special community. I will be forever thankful for how God moves there.
-Lexington mist is miserable. I won’t miss that.
-Leading a shift group is a humbling experience.
-Warm winters are actually kind of nice.
-I like Cajun food.
-The superdome is a nice place. I’m glad I got to see UK win a national championship.
-Crawfish is tasty.
-Totting is not as good as leaving baked goods and running.
-Throwing water balloons will always be worth the pain to fill them.
-Having your water shut off sucks.
-The best conversations happen after midnight.
-Stooping is an international sport.
-Applebee’s on Richmond road has terrible service.
-I feel like I am being robbed if I eat somewhere without a coupon.
-In Mississippi, they have to remind you that interstates are one way.
-Giant remote controlled inflatable floating sharks are so cool.
-Terrence Jones likes girls with cookies.
-Jesus proves YOLO wrong.
-Ghetto Hikes is perhaps the greatest twitter account ever.
-Uberfacts is interesting… for about 3 days.
-Chick-fil-a is always good.
-Qdoba is always good.
-The Red River Gorge is as pretty as Miguel’s Pizza is greasy.
-Hipster is now mainstream.
-Nope. Chuck Testa.
-Paula Dean has diabeetus.
-Bob Dole is always an acceptable answer.
-Morgan Freeman still works at the Johnson Center.
-When Reid takes his shirt off, it is the most exhilarating experience ever.
-Don’t pick up a pumpkin after it’s rained.
-Don’t push your friend into a bush.
-“Hey, you want to watch Star Wars” still works as a pick-up line
-Never park your car on State Street during March Madness
-The Wyckoff—Willow battle was the most epic battle of all time.
-Twirling glow sticks can be really mesmerizing.
-Milkshaking is a pandemic.
-Speedy Freezes are popular.
-The girl is older in most of the recent relationships to form #cougazfadayz
-Not working out for a year makes you gain weight.
-Baking makes it hard to lose weight.
-The hospital is one of my favorite date spots.
-The zoo is a wonderful place.
-Picnics are better than most restaurants.
-Blue Man Group is always entertaining.
-Gift cards are fantastic.
-I want a pet squirrel.