It has been a while since I have blogged. Last couple of weeks have been absolutely amazing. God has been blowing my mind lately. If I were to blog about it now, it would be a novel. However, I have had several interesting thoughts I would like to reflect on. If you have some free time, I can tell you all about the crazy things that God’s up to in my life.

Praying: God’s Will and Our Will

As Christians we are continually asking that God would do as He wishes in our life. But Christ also promises that if we ask according to His will, we will receive. It seems we are striving to get our desires and requests to match up with God’s desires and requests. Once our will (for ourselves, for other people, for the world) and God’s will come together, it shouts the loudest praise and creates the most powerful life. An interesting image struck me the other day. Whenever I am praying “Father give me this or give me that” it is always so I can give it back to Him in the form of glory, praise, sacrifice and offering. It is as if I am asking God for twenty dollars to buy him a gift. I have nothing and I can give God nothing that He has not already given to me. It’s another image of child-like faith. The Father says: “Son, I love you. What would you like me to give you?” and we respond “Father, I love you. Give me some resources or some opportunities to bless you.” It’s a crazy thought and it really struck me. God is an amazing Father and He gives us so many gifts to enjoy. Indeed, the best gift is the gift of loving Him back.

“Truth cannot travel faster than love”
I heard this quote from a friend and it really hit me. When I think about how I want to see the truth of God’s Word break free in everyone I meet, I must remember that it is love that must precede everything I do. I see campus preachers and speakers hammer out biblical truth at unknowing suspects, and while what they are saying may be truth in its purest form, no effect will occur, because truth cannot travel faster than love. We should remember that while knowledge may make a man look big, it is only love that can make him grow to his full stature. For whatever a man may know, he still has a lot to learn, but if he loves God, he is opening his whole life to the spirit of God. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away… The greatest is love.” Love is how we operate. Love doesn’t make sense economically. It is the one thing that as we give more away, we receive more. As we love more, we open ourselves up to more love. His love never fails. It never gives up. It never runs out on us. We did nothing to earn His love, so there is nothing we can do to lose it, apart from our own rejection of His kindness. Our sin went far; His love goes further still. So as we take part in letting Christ renew this world, let us remember that love must be at the beginning, middle, and end. Truth cannot travel faster than love. Life change cannot travel faster than love. Healing cannot travel faster than love.

Let’s love. And let’s share the truth. There is power in the name of Jesus to break every chain. It is for freedom He set us free.

In the word’s of St. Augustine: “Love God and do as you please.”